“…Or find myself a Rock’n’Roll band, that needs a helping hand…”
What is Ghostwriting?
A ghostwriter is a professional who is paid to write books, articles, stories, reports, or other texts that are officially credited to another person. Celebrities, executives, and political leaders often hire ghostwriters to draft or edit autobiographies, magazine articles, or other written material.
Why, on earth, would anyone want a ghostwriter?
• You may be a busy professional with technical or educational knowledge which would be very marketable in the form of a manual or instruction book. You don’t have the time to do it yourself.
• You might be an entrepreneur who wants to share your secret – for a price – with the world.
• You may have a terrific idea for a novel, screenplay or even a short story, but lack the writing skills to convert it into something which will sell. This form of ghostwriting is often referred to as collaboration.
• You may have fascinating life experiences. For example, you may be a former policeman with 40 years’ service and a hatful of stories which show how policing has changed over your career. Or maybe you were a teacher, a rock star, a soldier or a prostitute; in fact, anyone who has a tale to tell.
• You may have already had a go at writing your novel, memoirs or screenplay. You may even have approached an agent and been rejected but still want to get it out there — even if you have to self-publish. I can edit your work, providing anything from a light edit to a full editorial service. I will also assist with publication, either by finding you an agent who will lead you to a publisher — or I will take you through the self-publishing minefield and help to promote your finished product.
• If your first language isn’t English, I can help you to produce work that reads as if it is.
What will it cost me?
The cost is generally related to the amount of time which I spend on your – or our – project. If you end up with a best seller, you will be the main beneficiary, and it will be your work, not mine, which receives the plaudits (see below).
There are different options available: for example, unless there is sufficient evidence to suggest that the book will be a bestseller, I will charge you for my time. Typically, to write a book that runs to around 80,000 words will take me somewhere in the region of 500 hours. That’s 400 to write it and 100 for research. Of course, this is very much a generalisation. I charge £30 per hour, therefore – as a ballpark figure, the cost to you would be in the region of £15,000.
Alternatively, in certain circumstances (such as with something which is highly marketable) it may be possible to significantly reduce my hourly rate by agreeing a royalty share.
Why should I come to you?
• I have 20 years’ experience of writing for the press, in particular Rugby World, producing features for magazine publication (mainly through the consortium Quartet Multi Media, and sports reporting.
• I have a MA in Professional Writing (distinction)
• My third novel, Compound 19 is in the final stages of the first draft:
Comments on Compound 19:
“I want to keep reading more such is the momentum and sense of a story really well imagined. For a first novel it demonstrates impressive discipline and control over the material.” Anne Karpf, The Guardian
“…this is a polished, fast paced thriller/comedy.” Katie B, Sunderland.
“Brilliantly funny, witty and wicked! A real page turner! A new writer to watch out for! Pauline S. (North Wales)
If you wish to get into print, I can help you avoid the kind of mistakes I made. With my assistance; you will produce a polished, quality manuscript, which I can help you to market (subject to contract).
- Maybe you have a brilliant idea for a story but lack either the time or the confidence to develop it.
- You may just want some guidance or advice on a writing project which has lost momentum or direction.
- Or you may just want to write a memoir for posterity.
If you think you may be one of the above, or someone who simply wants a helping hand on the road to publication then get in touch.
Please email me, follow this link to the “Contact” page, and I will get back to you straightaway to discuss how I can help you – it will cost you nothing to discuss your projects, interests or aspirations!